I love shrimp! Nothing beats my moms spicy red shrimp curry complete with “thenga kothu” or fried coconut slices in it. I also love “theeyal” made with browned coconut powder or grated coconut. So I thought why not combine both and kill two birds with one stone and make shrimp theeyal.
Here is my quick recipe I made for Fathers Day. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Shrimp – 2-3 cups
Onion – 1 medium
Tomato – 1 medium
Dry coconut powder – 1 cup
Chili powder – 1/2-1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste (3/4 tsp)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 5-8
1. Heat coconut powder and 5 curry leaves in a pan and continue stirring on medium flame till all the coconut powder is uniformly browned. ( Raising pan off flame helps if it gets too hot and you feel the coconut is going to burn)
2. When done switch off the flame, add the chilli powder, coriander powder and jeera powder to the pan and stir for a minute. You can add salt any time you want. I added it to the mixture.
3. Now grind the mixture and then blend it with water in a blender.
4. Sauté the diced onion and tomato and remaining curry leaves in the pan with the oil till it forms a paste.
5. Add the shrimp and mix it in for a minute.
6. Now add the coconut blended mixture to the pan. Use water to wash out the whole mixture from the blender.
7. Cook on medium flame for 5 minutes and check if shrimp has cooked. If it has then bring the curry to boil till the gravy thickens.
Enjoy over some white rice!